Windows is a familiar operating system to all computer users. Since the time it was born, Windows has brought many advantages to our daily life. However, this application also possesses many drawbacks. One limitation is the “Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings” error.
If you don’t know much about this issue, let’s head into this article. Here, we will open up to you more about this problem and solve it in detail. Let’s scroll down to read!
Windows Could Not Automatically Detect This Network’s Proxy Settings Error
Many users have faced the error Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings Windows 10. This is because the files within the system are getting corrupted. In this part, we will address similar proxy-related problems that you might have while using Windows operating system:
- Windows 10 can’t detect proxy settings. If you are confronting this issue, apply one of our solutions in the next part of the article.
- Windows could not detect this network’s proxy setting of the server. This issue often links to the network configuration, and users will get a message pop up on the screen.
- Windows will not save proxy settings. This common error appears to prevent users from saving their proxy settings. And to fix it, you can use one of the methods mentioned in this article.
- Windows proxy settings are unstable. In other words, users can’t figure out the proxy because it keeps fluctuating.
When you get these issues, your computer will run very slowly. Furthermore, it will be difficult for you to access websites such as Vimeo, Netflix, and Youtube.
How To Fix Windows Could Not Automatically Detect This Network’s Proxy Settings Error- Detailed Solutions
In this part, we will walk you through possible methods to fix the error Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings. Let’s have a closer look at them, one by one!
Rebooting Your Computer And Router
When your Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings, from our experience, the error is caused by misconfigured settings. And we suggest you restart your device first.
Although the process takes you to nowhere, it helps clear up all the issues that might be. So the chance of success is minor, but this process is worth a try.
Reviewing Proxy Settings In Windows
Another method to check Windows could not detect proxy settings error is reviewing proxy settings in Windows. All you have to do is spending a bit of time on the following steps:
- Enter the Settings option.
- Choose the Network & Internet section before moving to the proxy tab. Be noted that this tab is located on the left sidebar.
On the newly opened screen, you will see the related proxy servers. Turn on the slider of Automatically detect settings. If you don’t use this function, then use a proxy server option to the off regime.
If you connect with a proxy in a business environment, it’s better to check with the administrator for the details. After that, make a connection to the internet again.
As a result, the error might still show up. You can try to turn off the Automatically detect settings, then switch it on again to see if the error gets fixed.
Running The Network Adapter Troubleshooter
If you run Internet Connections troubleshooting normally, it will lead to the error Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy. There is another way of launching a troubleshooter with more support from the system.
- Firstly, open the Settings options and head to Update & Security.
- Next, open Troubleshoot before choosing Additional troubleshooters.
- Then, select Network Adapter. It will take you a while for the program to scan all over your device and pinpoint out the result for you. It also might suggest to you the solution at the end.
Auto-Obtaining IP Address And DNS Info
After trying our two solutions above, nothing seems to work. We suggest users solve the error Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings google chrome by adjusting the IP address and DNS information.
All you have to do is to follow the route Settings > Network & Internet > Status. After that, choose Change adapter options before clicking twice on the network connection you are using.
Select Properties and double-click on the Internet Protocol Version 4.
Check if you have checked both options: “Obtain an IP address automatically” and “Obtain a DNS server address automatically.”
Updating And Rolling Back Network Adapter
Sometimes, using an outdated network driver can cause a connecting problem. Or if you just updated your network driver and something corrupted within the system. No matter which one you are facing, replacing the driver could help you solve the proxy issue.
- Click on the right side of the mouse on the Start button, select Device Manager. Here, you should enlarge the Network adapters and click twice on the network connection you are using.
- Next, choose the Roll back driver on the Driver tab. Here your task is to uninstall the latest update of the driver and switch it to the previous version.
- On the other hand, choose Update Driver with available options. We advise users to upgrade the network driver by using the original version from the manufacturer.
Resetting Network Configuration Through The Command Prompt
An alternative method that can help you solve the network’s proxy settings is to utilize the command prompt to reset the network configuration.
First, click on the right side of the mouse on the Start button. Then enter Command Prompt. Now you will have to run the following code line, one by one.
- netsh winsock reset
- netsh int ip reset
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /renew
- ipconfig /flushdns
These commands will automatically reset and renew a few networks functions like deleting the old connection data and updating the new IP address.
Reviewing Firewall, VPN, And Antivirus Software
A firewall, security suite, and VPN might be the reason that affects your disconnection. Also, the update or the new install of these programs could change your proxy settings without your knowing.
Therefore, we suggest you disable firewall, VPN, and antivirus programs one by one to see whether the error will disappear. If the proxy gets fixed, it means these programs cause the error. And you will have to set them up so they cannot interfere with your network activities.
Scanning For Malware
Some users have admitted that Malware was the reason for their proxy settings issue. As a result, they see the error message pop up on the screen every time they restart the computer.
The solution for this is to scan for malware and follow the recommended action. One of the anti-malware applications you can trust is Malwarebytes. With this program, you can easily detect the hiding malware within your system and make it go off your device.
Utilizing The Restore Point
Utilizing the restore point is the process that helps you to get back to the point where your device was working finely. When you see the error show ups on your screen, follow the steps below:
- Follow the route Settings > System > About before clicking on the System protection on the right sidebar.
- If you have used this program before, you will see the restore point on the System Protection window. And you can choose the point that you want your device to get back to.
- Use the button Scan for affected programs to know what effects your software will get. Be noted that the restoring process will also clear up all the programs that you have recently installed. So make sure you have saved all your needed information.
Resetting Your Network Settings
Our last suggestion for you today is to reset the network settings. This process will help you get away from persistent issues that create the disconnection between your Windows and network’s proxy settings.
To implement this process, firstly, you will have to follow the route: Settings > Network & Internet. Next, you will see the Status tab, search for Network reset. Finally, click on this button. The drawback of this process is it will remove all the information of your network. Therefore you will have to save it again after reconnecting.
After choosing the button, your device will take a while to reset the whole system. Finally, don’t forget to check whether the problem has gone away.
The Bottom Line!
In conclusion, the error Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings can happen at any time, to anyone. To solve this issue, you need a basic knowledge of Information Technology and implement one of our solutions above. We hope this article was helpful to you. If you still have related questions, don’t hesitate to leave us a message.