Since the birth of Windows, it has brought many benefits to our lives. However, you may not know that this operating system contains many negative features itself as well. One of the common problems we want to mention today is Windows update error 80072ee2. In this article, we will discuss further with you this issue and provide solutions on how to fix it. Let’s scroll down to read!
What Is Windows Update Error 80072ee2?
This is an error commonly appearing when you search for updates on Windows operating systems. Specifically, there are two possible reasons for this issue: Corruption with the updated store folder of Windows, or the policy settings within the Windows Registry are having problems.
Windows update error (Image Source: https://www.repairwin.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/image8.png)
Either the root is, users will receive this error in the form of a message popping up on their computer screen. We would like to invite you to continue reading our next part below for more information on how to fix Windows update error 80072ee2.
How To Fix Windows Update Error 80072ee2?
Below we will walk you through two solutions on how to fix this issue. Let’s have a closer look!
Method 1: Edit The Registry
The first suggestion for you is to adjust the Registry and erase some keys. To do so, you should spend a bit of effort and time following the below steps:
- Press on the combination of Windows and R keyboards
- On the Run box, type services.msc before heading to the Ok button
- Next, address the Windows Update within the service console. Then click on the right side of the mouse. After that, select the Stop option so we can make the change with the Registry.
Stop the work of Windows Update. (Image source: https://cdn.appuals.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/windowsupdateservice.png)
- Again, press on the combination of Windows and R keyboards
- In the new box, type the route C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution before selecting the Ok button
Here users will see a new folder open on the screen, delete the contents of it! Also, it’s time to get back to the Windows Update service. Here you will click right on the mouse and select the Start option.
- Repeat the process by holding on to the combination of the Windows and R keyboards.
- Write regedit in the Run box, then browse the below path:
- On the right side of the box, you will see the keys like WUServer and WUStatusServer. Delete them, and check if the error still shows up while you update your Windows.
Method 2: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
This method helps you figure out the issue and suggests possible changes to fix the error. Before applying this solution, make sure you have an account as an administrator to implement the process.
Running Windows update troubleshooter (Image source: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/windows-10-update-troubleshooter-1200×928.png)
- Click on the combination of Windows and S keyboards to launch the Searching bar. Next, type “troubleshoot” and wait for the result to come up.
- On the newly opened menu, choose Windows Update before clicking on the section Run the troubleshooter.
- Wait for the troubleshooting to run and scan to see if there are any discrepancies. Also, don’t worry if the system requires you to use your account for this process; just try troubleshooting as an administrator.
- Finally, try to restart your PCs to see whether the problem gets fixed.
Note: The troubleshooting process requires an internet connection, so check your internet system before implementing.
Method 5: Reset Windows Update Modules
Sometimes adjusting the XML file would lead to validating the digital signature at our side, and Microsoft had changed the file at their end. However, the problem still shows up. We recommend you reset the Windows update module if that is the case.
- Click on the combination of Windows and S keyboards before typing the command prompt
- Click on the right side of the mouse and choose Run as administrator
- After that, write the following code lines:
- net stop wuauserv
- cd %systemroot%
- ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- net start wuauserv
- net stop bits
- net start bits
- net stop cryptsvc
- cd %systemroot%\system32
- ren catroot2 catroot2.old
- net start cryptsvc
- regsvr32 Softpub.dll /s
- regsvr32 Wintrust.dll /s
- regsvr32 Initpki.dll /s
- regsvr32 Mssip32.dll /s
Let all of these code lines be executed, then restart your desktop to see if the issue still exists.
The Bottom Line!
Windows update error 80072ee2 is not a new issue for Windows users. However, users need to have basic knowledge about technology to solve it. If you face the same issue, follow our above instructions carefully and one to another method to find out what works out. In case you still have another way to fix the issue, let’s share them with us!